You can tell the officer, “I wish to talk to a lawyer,” in response to any question the officer asks you. You do not need tell the immigration officer where you were born or what your immigration status is. You do not have to show the officer your papers or any immigration documents. If the officer asks you for your papers, tell the officer, “I wish to talk to a lawyer.” What can my union do? If you belong to a labor union, there are ways it can help you. You should talk to your union representative about your concerns. If it would make you feel more comfortable, ask some of your co-workers to go with you to talk to your representative.